A relentless downpour pounded Tamil Nadu’s capital city of Chennai on December 1, 2015, flooding and submerging one of India’s largest cities. The heaviest one-day rainfall in the region – as much as 494 mm (19.45 inches) – in more than a century left more than three million people without basic services.
Home > Asia
- Interplay of climate change-exacerbated rainfall, exposure and vulnerability led to widespread impacts in the Mediterranean region
- Climate change more than doubled the likelihood of extreme fire weather conditions in Eastern Canada
- Extreme heat in North America, Europe and China in July 2023 made much more likely by climate change
- Limited data prevent assessment of role of climate change in deadly floods affecting highly vulnerable communities around Lake Kivu
- Limited net role for climate change in heavy spring rainfall in Emilia-Romagna